Saturday

Unicorns and Equine Dreams

Tomorrow is my day to post on the Art4Critters blog, so here is a sneak peek of my article.

When I was a little girl, thoughts of horses filled my every waking moment. I dreamed and schemed of the horse I would own, how in the world I would actually buy that horse and where in my suburban back yard I would keep my dream equine. My horse would have a golden mane, knicker softly when he saw me and carry me on pounding hooves over open fields and valleys…..
Well, in reality, I was one of six children whose hard working single mom struggled to cover the basic costs of keeping us all fed and clothed. Actually owning a horse was most certainly a dream, but that didn’t stop me from happily imagining my world with a horse beside me.

I carried that dream all through my childhood, through adolescence and into adulthood. I volunteered at various stables just to be near horses, to touch and smell them, revel in that equine presence. Until finally when I turned 40 (!!!) I decided, “its now or never“, and purchased my first horse! Equine number one was a huge, black retired dressage horse I named Gulliver. Gulliver had done it all, he was tired, but seemed sound and safe. Unfortunately he went lame (crippled) within six months due to the years of wear and tear on his tendons…so old Gulliver was given to a boys camp where I hope he is happily spending his retirement getting lots of love and hugs.

For a few weeks I thought my lifelong dream had ended with Gulliver’s departure, but…then came Little Bit. An old cowboy friend of mine had “just the horse” for me. He was a bit on the ugly side my friend told me, a little fat, but a kind and sweet horse. When I met Little Bit, (who was named “Guy” by his current owner) he had no mane or tail! I mean, there were a few stray hairs, but that was about it. The poor lad had a bad allergy problem and had rubbed out all of his fur from nose to tail. He was in fact a bit unattractive, but his price was great and I brought him home.

Now, seven years and a few states later, my sweet Little Bit is still with me! I was able to cure his allergy and he now has the most beautiful, long, wavy mane and tail. We have come so far together Little Bit and I, learning slowly how to ride and care for my dream horse, trailoring him across the country when I moved from Texas, and figuring out how to budget the cost of owning a horse through some very tight times.
Today there is not one moment of time spent with my horse that I don’t relish like the very finest wine. I drink in every heavenly smell, every warm hug, every moment that he knickers a welcome. We have galloped down country roads together, across snow cover fields with the Winter sun glistening off the ice, and spent many hours just being together in the barn. I have a long ways to go to become an accomplished equestrian, my skills come slowly without formal training, but having waited 35 years for this dream equine, I can wait a lifetime for that time when Little Bit and I are a perfectly synchronized team communicating on a higher level as we canter down life’s road together.

This little unicorn painting is my equine inspired ACEO in honor of my dear sweet horse Little Bit. An ACEO for Old Dog Haven


(Click on the image to find the Unicorn eBay auction)

And another Equine inspired piece...
Also an ACEO for Old Dog Haven


(click on image to get to the eBay auction)




Little Bit and I


Little Bit waiting to go up the mountain

Remember to check out my new website!
Website
My eBay Store
My CaféPress Store

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Blog Archive