Friday

New Sparrow Art for Friday, Daisy Two



Daisy, the House Sparrow Two 90 -'07
India Ink and Colored Pencil
ACEO, 3.5 inches by 2.5 inches
Benefits the charity Old Dog Haven
Click here on the painting to find my little bird.

For those of you who don’t know, this month I had the joy and honor of rescuing a baby Sparrow! For the ten days that “Daisy” was with me, my whole family made minor adjustments to accommodate this little angel. Feeding a baby bird requires unlimited patience and dedication as they eat every 45 minute from dawn to dusk. Then, its crucial that the bird learns to fly, take dust baths, and eat seed rather than the formula fed by hand. All of this I actually found to be a labor of love and our children helped whenever they could. I have included exerts from my online blogs documenting those ten days, but I really wanted to convey the feeling I experienced in “rehabilitating” this little creature. She was so small when I found her, dirty, helpless and frightened in the dust of the barn floor. The miracle that she survived the first night was moving in itself! The dramatic changes that evolved in just a few days and the way that she actually looked me in the eye with trust and understanding will leave a lasting memory. I hope I can always remember the sensation of those tiny feet wrapped around my finger with just the most delicate of pressure as she learned to balance herself and then to fly. I hope that someday Daisy will come back to visit me, but if not, the memory of sharing ten days with her will always be sweet.

Thanks so much and have an outstanding weekend!
Melody

3 comments:

Cherie said...

This is a lovely tribute to your incredible adventure of raising a wild bird! Having raised a few animals of my own, including wild birds, it sure is an honor and a gift!

Bless you!

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thank you Cherie!

artbyakiko said...

What a wonderful experience you had! I know how rewarding to save a life whether large or small. Life is precious!

Blog Archive