Wednesday

Finally "Threw A Leg Over My Horse" Today!



Some of you may not know that I am a total "Cowgirl Wanna Be". Yep, ever since I was about five years old, I pined for an equine! Given I was one of six kids raised by a hard working single mom in suburbia, that dream was distant to say the least. So I satisfied my love for horses by the occasional chance to ride and to press my face into one of those lovely manes. Then, right around my 40th birthday, while living on a large girls camp in Texas (hubby was their chef) I decided to treat myself to riding lessons. Before long I decided that if there ever was a time in my life to fulfill the dream of owning a horse, this was it! So we sold an old Volvo station wagon and bought my first horse. Nine years later and several thousand miles from that Texas girls camp, I still have my beloved "Little Bit" Here in New England, we have to tuck our horses into stalls with blankets for the winter. If we are brave enough, we can get out there in the sub zero temps to ride our horse pals, but alas, this winter I just let "Little Bit" hang with his stable pals and I stayed close to the wood stove. Finally, today we have 60 degrees, sunshine, and a pleasant lack of snow on the ground. So I saddled up LB, and as my Texas cowgirl friend used to say, "Threw a leg over my horse"! It was divine. I hope to have many a long ride with my horse pal....warm sun, the perfume of horse, fresh air. Ahhhhh:)

Enjoy!!

13 comments:

Jan said...

What a sweet story, Melody. I loved reading it!

I've also had a long standing love of horses, but only from afar.

And the photo of you and Little Bit is beautiful.

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks Jan! I am so lucky to have Little Bit as a first horse. He is so sweet and patient, a good fella for sure. I can still smell him on my hands right now and its making me smile. :)

Jennifer Rose said...

he is a nice looking horse :) I love horses and wish I had one but not until we have the money or the space to properly take care of one. Until then I will just be content (almost :p) to draw them and take lots of pictures.

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thank you Jennifer! He is rather handsome isn't he? :) I think I may be biased though.

Jennifer MacNeill-Traylor said...

What a great story & I LOVE the photo! Hope to have a horse again soon, I miss them.

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

Ohhh! I am so thrilled for you! I miss being able to ride!

Fab Fibers said...

There are still times I miss my two girls. I laughed at the part about sticking your nose in horses manes. That's the first thing I do even now.

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks you Jennifer and Gail! Yeah, Fab...I found myself looking for the smell of Little Bit on my clothes today and drinking it in like perfume. :)

Kathleen Coy said...

Great story, and gorgeous photo! It gives me hope - I've always wanted a horse too, and at 41 I'm still waiting...

Miniature Art by Karen Hull said...

Good for you Melody. What a gorgeous horse. It sounds so idyllic where you are, although 60 degrees farenheit still sounds a bit chilly to an Aussie girl. I love how you reach for your dreams and make them happen!

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks Kathleen. Yes, yes, there is hope for your dream! Because I waited so long, every part of owning a horse is a joy for me.

Thank you Karen. I know, 60 degrees seems toasty to us right now! Bring on the spring.

Thank you so much for stopping by.

me said...

I so want to ride one ..but I am sooo scared ..I went for a riding lesson ones and never got on ..they look so big :(
I wish I could feel like you..oh well ..I'll just take the dog on a walk I guess :)

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Well, I think some of us were born with "the horse crazies" and it just never goes away! lol Thanks for stopping by.

Blog Archive