Friday

Next Step On Spring Bunny Two



This morning I have begun to layer in the blue and gray of Spring Bunny's beautiful white coat. I love how the shadows in a white fur coat are such beautiful shade of blue. An artist must really look though, and "paint what you see not what you think you see" because blue is not the color our logical minds initially grasp. I admire artists who can find colors in something that require the artist to look even deeper into the subject, beyond what can be seen at first glance. I know little bunny looks a bit odd right now, but I am layering in thick coats of waxy colored pencil, (very much like paint) because the next step, when I manipulate the waxy layers of pencil, is when the real fun begins!

Enjoy!!

3 comments:

Kathleen Coy said...

Ooo, I love the dramatic lighting! And yes, sooo many colors in fur, especially white fur, because it reflects everything around it. I'm interested to see how you manipulate the layers of colored pencil. I've worked with them in the past, so I know exactly what you mean by waxy layers, lol.

Jennifer Rose said...

When I am showing people how to use CPs I really try to stress to them that there are more colours then what you first see in a subject. Shadows on white fur can be a lot of fun to do, purples, blues, pinks, yellows so many colours that can be in one shadow.

do you use a blender or a solvent? or just lots of layering?

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thank you Kathleen! Sometimes I feel like CP are nearly oil painting in mini (well, for me...lol)when I get enough layers going that it starts to act more like paint.

Hi Jennifer. yes, the colors that you feel more than see...I wish I were braver in that respect as some artists can be. I use a blender (sometimes), but more often just layer upon layer. I work on a fairly smooth surface with little tooth, so it becomes like pushing mud on glass! But then its so much fun to scratch through at the end because of the layers.

Blog Archive