Saturday

Passion In Mom's Backyard



Passion Flowers blooming in mom's backyard.



This is my last day here in Bakersfield caring for mom, I am flying out early, early in the morning. Its been a tender, bittersweet, challenging, and precious time spent here. Although it is so heart wrenching to see a parent become old and feeble, I am deeply grateful that I could be with her. Other than being unable to move from bed, mom is relatively healthy right now, and for that I feel blessed. I am also blessed with a family who cares for each other, has great admiration and respect for each other, and only wants whats best for mom. We are a lucky family in that regard!

Mom has always been an anchor in my life. I drifted, swam, and paddled 1000s of miles away, but she was always there. Letting go of that anchor is the hardest thing to do.

See you on the other side of the continent!

6 comments:

DEB said...

What a beautiful post, Melody. Safe travels.

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

So glad you were able to spend time with your Mother! Not all of us get that chance and regrets are everlasting.

Bakersfield, know it well. Showed horses there in the summer from mid-60's to early 70's. It was still rural then-

Have a good trip home.

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thank you Deb!
Gail, yep...Bakersfield. I grew up here. Its really big now, spread out. The street I grew up on is just a lovely though and I can appreciate it so much more now.
Thanks again gals.
~Melody

Kathleen said...

Safe trip home!I'm sending you a bloggers award for Passion in Painting ...When you get a chance check my blog!
Kathleen

"JeanneG" said...

Hi Melody. I live in Bakersfield and just wanted to say hello to you. I was born and raised here with 4 years off to live in Oregon. I love your artwork. So cute. Nice to meet your. Jeanne

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Hi JeanneG, nice to meet you as well. Bakersfield was beautiful last week, the perfect weather for So. Ca. Yep, grew up in Bako. and its always nice to revisit the hometown.

Thanks Kathleen, I will try to forward on that award when I can.
~Melody

Blog Archive