Monday

Glorious 50th Birthday Celebration

I celebrated my 50th birthday with my sister this past weekend at the delightful High Pocket Bed and Breakfast in Colrain Mass.

My sis Mickey (right) and I just back from our trail ride.


That's Thunder beside me, Mickey's mount who was just the sweetest, most perfect gentleman for my sis. I rode a petite horse named "Little Red", who had that high energy, sports car kind of feel...a stark contrast to my own horse, Little Bit, who is more of a (slightly rusty) vintage Jeep.

High Pocket Bed and Breakfast is known as a country getaway plus horseback riding...kind of a "horsey B&B". As I mentioned in my last post, I am a bit horse crazy (my sis is not, but is super supportive and always game for adventure) Six months ago when I began to ponder how I would want to mark this significant birthday, horses, country, and sis all came to mind.

On Friday I picked up Mickey (a Brooklyn resident) from the train station and together we meandered north to the tiny town of Colrain, Ma. When one is with a best friend on a brilliantly sunny spring day in New England, every bit of the journey is delightful...even when accidentally taking the loooooong way around to your destination (which we did)! The house at High Pocket was beautiful! An old farm house all done up inside with charm and warmth. A stout wood stove in the great room, quilts everywhere and that scrumptious periwinkle blue as an accent in the "Chester Room" we chose.

Below is a view of the 160 year old farm house at High Pocket Bed and Breakfast (that we got all to ourselves this weekend)



Friday night, as the perfect spring sun began to descend, Mickey and I headed over to the little town of Shelburn Falls Ma. for dinner. Following our hosts Sarah and Mark's suggestion, we checked out Shelburn's Bridge of Flowers, an old trolly bridge that has been lushly planted with flowers, trees, vines, and other magical flora.

Tulips on Shelburn's Bridge of Flowers


More of the Bridge of Flowers


A look down the charming Bridge of Flowers




We ate a sumptuous dinner at Cafe Martins (left) in Shelburn Falls Ma. Then had a lazy and quiet evening snuggled under puffy quilts by the woodstove at High Pocket, eating chocolate and dozing shamelessly!

Saturday morning dawned gray but not too chilly. We gathered and brushed our Tennessee Walking horses (which for me was as much fun as riding) we then headed out with our host Mark on a two hour jaunt through deep woods and open pasture on High Pocket's 540 acres. I was so proud of sis who even broke into a soft lope on Thunder, and survived with a smile! I was able to put Little Red into a gaited trot occasionally and that was a blast.

Saturday night was dinner at the quirky, charming, Green Emporium restaurant in Colrain, Ma. The emporium had a definite "Alice's Restaurant" feel and the food was scrumptious. After dinner were a few more hours of lazing by the woodstove, under handmade quilts, eating yet more chocolate, and gabbing into the night.

I would say the weekend birthday celebration was perfect and will stay as a sweet memory for the next fifty years! Thanks Mickey.

15 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

looks like you both had a great time! very pretty place to have a break from life :)

Kathleen Coy said...

Aw, Happy Birthday Melody!!!

Mona said...

So glad you had such a lovely birthday experience, and thanks for sharing it in pictures and stories. Where in Brooklyn does Mickey live? (I live on Third St. between Fourth and Fifth Ave. in Park Slope, Brooklyn.)

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks so much Jennifer and Kathleen! Mona, Mickey lives in Ditmus Park.

mousewords said...

That is awesome! Are you tempted to paint that bridge and all those views? ;-)

Happy Birthday--I hope the rest of your year is just as wonderful!

Debbie Lamey-MacDonald said...

Wow! What an awesome trip and birthday celebration! Thanks for sharing and wishing you a wonderful and sunny year ahead!
Happy Birthday Mel!
Love Deb

DEB said...

Happy, happy birthday! Your beautiful photos make me miss MA so much! We didn't have kids when we lived in MA and NH, so we got around a lot, and I swear I've been to some of the places you've posted. That was such a fun time in my life. I turned 25 there! Thanks for bringing back memories!

Miniature Art by Karen Hull said...

What a fabulous way to celebrate your 50th - good for you - Congratulations, you deserve it!!!! xx

Dors said...

Belated Happy Birthday Melody.
What a heavenly way to spend your 50th Birthday. Love the photo's.

Fab Fibers said...

Happy Birthday! My best times are shared with my sisters too.

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks you so much Mousewords, Debbie, Deb, Karen, Dors, and Fab Fibers. I am so lucky to have such an awesome sis.

Sarah said...

Happy Birthday Melody!! It sounds like you had a wonderful time!!!
Sarah

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

Absolutely no way you can be 50!!! You look too young!

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks Sarah! Gail...you just SO made my day! Thanks.:D

Cheryl Kugler said...

The B&B looks like such a charming place, and such a cozy dining room. Tulip pics are beautiful. What a great way to spend a special day (er, weekend!).

Happy Birthday!

Cheryl
www.cherylkugler.com

Blog Archive