Tuesday

Periwinkle Background For New Miniature Painting ACEO



This afternoon I worked in a Periwinkle Blue background to my latest miniature painting (ACEO). After a delightful debate with my pals on Twitter: GumsMinis and Debbie Lamey-MacDonald about which colors are truly complimentary, or opposites on the color wheel, I chose to work in my favorite shade of periwinkle, which is a blue violet.


A million years ago when I was in art school, color theory absolutely fascinated me! The way colors directly opposite each other on the color wheel, can resonate and have such a dramatic effect, is just thrilling (in my opinion). So, knowing that my little chicks are going to be canary yellow to golden yellow, I worked in a blue violet to violet background to create that drama. One particular Prisma colored pencil that I use often has the creamiest sensation when I work it over an ink wash, this shade of periwinkle always makes me happy when I begin to spread it like butter over a blue background!


Below is my little ACEO in hand as a reminder of the size of my paintings.


Enjoy!!

6 comments:

Kathleen Coy said...

I too love color theory, Melody. And yes, it is thrilling!!! :-D

These chicks are so cute, I can't wait to see the yellow next to that gorgeous blue!

Jennifer Rose said...

love this colour :) was using it today to fill on the beak on a bird. it makes such a nice base to put some greys over the make the beak shine.

the yellow of the chicks will go really well with it :D

Cheryl Kugler said...

Love periwinkle. Even just love the way it sounds! I love Prismacolor colored pencils too. Many of the illustrations I do are Prismacolor markers, prismacolor art stix, and prismacolor colored pencils. I agree with you that those colored pencils are just the best to work with. They are so rich and smooth. Looking forward to the next update!
Cheryl
www.cherylkugler.com

DEB said...

Periwinkle is one of my favorite colors for backgrounds too. These chicks are destined for greatness!

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks so much Kathleen, Jennifer, Cheryl, and DEB! I love the idea of periwinkle under grays and blacks for that blue black shine of a birds beak! Prisma color is the best (I think I am biased tho) :)
Thanks for stopping by girls.
~Mel

Miniature Art by Karen Hull said...

It is fascinating to watch how you put your paintings together, Melody. I have to say I struggled with the Prismacolors, simply because I sharpened them away too quickly trying to keep them sharp, but I do love their Verithin range for fine detail.

Blog Archive