Saturday

Rescued A Wee Little Wood Mouse!



I have a little Terrier mix dog who is an amazing mouser. The three cats who live here like to bring mice in, then they usually loose interest and release the little fellows inside. Now, Casey (my terrier mix) will spend hours of obsessed chasing, but rarely actually snags the little mouse.



We have floor based heating vents that run the length of each wall in every room. These make perfect little enclosed highways for the poor mouse to run up and down while Casey chases in hot pursuit! I usually try to save the little mouse, but its rather challenging. Little mouse usually runs into a dead end of his heat vent highway, and I have a chance to grab him, (only I have to use tweezers because the space is so small) Well, this morning I was able to gently grab little mouse, pull him carefully from the vent, only to have Casey snatch him from my hand! Little mouse scurried like a flash back into the heating vent. Finally, dear hubby suggested the shop vac. What a great idea! So, Casey and I cornered little mouse at a heating vent dead end, I stuck the shop vac nozzle in, and "thunk" I had him. I then nervously (hoping mr. mouse was alive) carried the whole shop vac out to the woods, opened it up and there was little wood mouse, perfectly unharmed albeit a bit dusty! He popped right out and ran off into the woods. Yeah!!

9 comments:

Caron said...

Mel, this was funny & sweet..:) Is that HIM in your pic? Reminds me of one of the tales of Despereaux I cant help but wonder what was going thru his wee mind when he went on the air tube ride thou...lol

Donna Ridgway said...

Your story has given us a good laugh, thanks for posting it. I think you could make a children's story about this...

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks Caron and Donna! I know, I loved the look in his little face when I opened the shop vac...lol. He looked right up at me, I gave a little nudge, and off he went...dust bunnies trailing behind.

Jennifer Rose said...

I first thought your dog has horns! but then realize its the cat :p

glad you rescued him :D

Cheryl Kugler said...

Such a funny story. I had to relay it to my hubby at dinner tonight. We both chuckled. Thanks for sharing!

Cheryl

Irene Rencsi said...

Great story and pics! :)

"JeanneG" said...

EEEEEK! You touch them? I am scared to death of mice. Don't even look at them when I go past in the pet store.

DEB said...

What an adventure!We used to have 3 cats that were good mousers. They would usually not harm the mice, but bring them to my feet as a gift. Ours were the brown field mouse variety with those huge eyes that melted your heart.

Miniature Art by Karen Hull said...

I missed this delightful story before - what a gorgeous photo as well. You put a smile on my face just when I needed it :)

Blog Archive