Thursday

Headed To California Again



My mom and I in our backyard garden (above) circa 1975. That's right, I was a "flower child"!

For those of you who don't know, my dear mother fell and broke her hip about a year ago and is now confined to her bed. Her four children have gathered around her and are taking turns caring for mom with my oldest sister Ade handling the lion's share. Tomorrow morning I fly out to my hometown of Bakersfield California for my "shift" with mom. I hope to continue creating miniature paintings on mom's kitchen table as well as gather a few more cherished memories with her. My brother, sisters, and I intend to help mom stroll down this final pathway of her life draped in a snug blanket of love!

P.S. Someone wants to come with!

10 comments:

Caron said...

Fly save mel & enjoy the memories with her...:)

Mary Sonya Conti said...

Dearest Melody,
brings back memories of my own Mama and the one on one time that only those circumstances share between mother and daughter. Flying home never knew what new state would meet me but knew it was a gift of time that one day would wish had back. Lean over and give her a kiss that will be your memory. In that feel as though have kissed Mama one last time. Be safe and Create with love!

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

I hope you have a good visit with your Mom! Your kitty looks a lot like my late Jethro!

Kathleen Coy said...

Oh Melody, you look so beautiful in that photo. I'm laughing because yesterday I wore braids and a tie-dyed bandana and said I looked like a flower child, lol.
Have a good flight, and enjoy your time with your mom.
Hugs!

Jennifer MacNeill-Traylor said...

I hope you have a peaceful time with your mom. I enjoyed seeing the old photo and the new one of your kitty. Take care:)

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thank you Caron, Mary Sonya, Gail, and Kathleen.

Mary Sonya, that such good advice and I plan to do just that!

Gail, such darling crazy cats, eh?

Kathleen, I was just sixteen...same age as my daughter now. Its fun to look back,. :)

artbyakiko said...

Have a wonderful trip and time with your mom!

DEB said...

Melody, have a safe trip to and from CA, and I hope you enjoy the time with your mom.

Totally Timmy said...

Hope the time with your mom is enjoyable. Keep us up to date with your beautiful artwork!!

Adrian Eve Revenaugh said...

Looking forward to seeing you tonight! The picture of you and Momma stops my heart.
Love your sis,
Ade

Blog Archive