Monday

Meet My Tiny New Art Subject - Houdini



Deborah Peters (an art customer of mine) contacted me recently wishing to share some images of sweet little critters. This kind lady who worked as a veterinarian's aid until her retirement, rescues small creatures and fosters them till they can be released. Above is the tiny field mouse she named Houdini on the day she released him in the mountains. Below are some amazing pictures of Houdini each step along the way of his rescue and fostering. I am planning my next miniature ACEO around little Houdini and have roughed out a composition in pencil which you can find at the end of this post.






The thing that inspires me most about stories such as Houdini's is that good people like Deborah do not have to take the time, love, and energy to save such a tiny (sometimes misunderstood or seemingly insignificant) creature. The feeling however, of deep satisfaction that comes with saving a life, no matter how small is a big emotion. I know that feeling! Like when I rescued and raised a little house sparrow a few years ago.
My baby house sparrow and here.
So, my first painting of Houdini will have him in among some Dandelions, (also misunderstood...Dandelions are not really weeds but "flowers out of place").



Here is the finished design for Houdini:


Enjoy!!

11 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

aww he is very cute :D

the composition of your little painting looks really good at this stage :)

artbyakiko said...

Houdini is so cute. I'm so glad that your friend saved this lovely fellow. It's wonderful to know that people like you and Deborah are out there helping animals.

Kathleen Coy said...

Aw, I love little Houdini! And I love the start you have on his painting.

Field mice are darling. I'm so grateful that Deborah gave him the care he needed.

DEB said...

How sweet! I'm conflicted, though. When we had field mice coming into the house, chewing the wires and creating the potential for electrical fires, I caught them on sticky traps and put them in the freezer to humanely kill them....better than the poisons that give them painful, cruel deaths, but still....We disposed of about 15 of them before they stopped climbing in through our sump pump. I'd do it again, to protect our family. Yet, Houdini is adorable. Just don't let him near my house!!

Miniature Art by Karen Hull said...

What a wondeful story - there is nothing so satisfying as nursing a little sick or injured creature back to good health. Look forward to seeing the artwork you create from this gorgeous little guy!!

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks so much Jennifer, Akiko, Kathleen, and Karen! I understand Deb, same thing with the Dandelions I wrote about...they are weeds where they are not wanted but magic where they belong! :)
~Mel

Gail H. Ragsdale said...

So sweet Melody! I am looking forward to see the painting develop.

Carol @ TheWritersPorch said...

I love the little Houdini! So precious! Dandilions are wonderful in salad mix!!

Sarah said...

Aw hon darling pictures. I adore mice, love yours!! I prefer them not in the house - but love them anyway. Thanks for sharing!!
Sarah

Totally Timmy said...

I found 5 baby bunnies that a dog had dug up and injured. Tried to keep them going but after a week they all passed:( I would try to raise a little mouse if I found one...I like all little furry critters except rats and bears!!
I have 2 cottontails from last year that I never released, YoYo and Romulus..they are cute..just like the ones in your paintings!

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks Gail, Carol,and Sarah! Totally, I also tried once to save a nest of baby cottontails, even met with a rehabilitator and got all the tools I needed. It was so sad to lose them all! It makes me appreciate people like Debbie who do have success with raising the babies! Thanks Debbie.

Blog Archive