Sunday

New Painting, New Size, Different Style



The above image is from one of a Jan Brett's book. Jan is what of my favorite illustrators (who also lives in New England's Berkshire Mountains). I am taking on a new children's book and experimenting with a new size format for my work. With the somewhat larger size, I wanted to try my hand at the ornate and intricate borders similar to Jan Brett's.

Below is the first rough design for my newest miniature, "Mouse With Fall Border" Its 4x6 inches, roughed out in pencil on cotton Bristol with a vellum finish.



Enjoy!!

4 comments:

Kathleen Coy said...

I can't wait to see your take on borders, Mel! This design flows beautifully. :-)

Jennifer MacNeill-Traylor said...

I am totally gaga over Jan Brett! Love the sketch, it's going to be beautiful!

Miniature Art by Karen Hull said...

It will be fascinating to watch your new format evolve - I wish you all the best with it Melody!!!

GENICA said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Sara

http://paintingdrawing.net

Blog Archive