Monday

Breathless Quiet


I recently returned from a week in California caring for my elderly mother. This is the fourth trip to my home town for me this year as my siblings and I take turns caring for mom. Spending time in the house where I grew up is always relaxing though sometimes a little bittersweet. With mom 100% confined to bed, most of her time is spent blissfully dozing or engrossed in a good novel, and the house is quiet, I mean really quiet! Then... because its hot in southern California and our 1920s-era house has no air conditioning, the windows are always flung open to the hum of a quiet old neighborhood.


I often have a feeling in my childhood home of being able to see out but not being visible to anyone passing by. In the old house, in the breathless quiet, I sometimes find a place between the delicate shadows and filtered sunlight on a windowsill, that seems to hold such tremendous resounding peace. Maybe because I am also meandering along the wisps and swirls of memories as I look at the beautiful windowsill patterns. For whatever reason it's a rich and lovely snippet in time.


5 comments:

Debbie Lamey-MacDonald said...

Such a lovely reflection Melody. I could feel the resounding quiet and imagine that quiet voice talking inside your head. I am so glad you got to spend some peaceful time with your mom. Precious ;D

"JeanneG" said...

I thought you just got here and you are already back home. What area is your mom's house? I'm on the east side which is where I grew up but I'm not in the same house. Nice to have the memories.

Mona said...

Melody, I miss my family home! I'm glad you are enjoying some time there, with your Mom, in yours.

When I get nostalgic for my childhood home, I think of what Billy Crystal said about this in his book, 700 Sundays: "Somebody else owns it now, but it doesn't belong to them...because I can close my eyes and go there any time I want."

Jennifer Rose said...

We never really had a family home because we moved every few years. A family home is something to cherish, glad you get to spend some time there with your memories and your mother.

Jennifer MacNeill-Traylor said...

What a beautiful post. You have such a way with words. I felt like I was there, just for a moment...

Blog Archive