Tuesday

More Work On Mini Art



It was a very full morning for mom today. I am here in California for a week taking care of mom while my oldest sister is enjoying a quick break from her role as full time caregiver. This morning with visiting nurses, Hospice volunteers, and an impromptu "In And Out Burger" party...the ol' gal is all worn out! So, this afternoon while mom is in deep contented sleep, I worked quite a bit on my latest miniature painting.

I am again experimenting with a different "support" (thats the arty term for paper or board). With my newest illustration project coming up, I want to try a different size, style, and surface. The above photograph shows the first stages of colored background with India ink. The two photographs below show more layers of colored pencil and watercolor. The ink responded differently than I am used to, it absorbed very quickly. So I experimented with layers of first colored pencil, then watercolor, then colored pencil again. I like the grainy effect that the last layer of pencil left behind. This is a larger piece for me than the usual ACEOs. The little painting is 4x6 inches done in India ink, colored pencil and possibly a bit of white acrylic.





Enjoy!

9 comments:

Debbie Lamey-MacDonald said...

Hi Mel,
Your mom is lucky to have such a caring daughter. I love your painting so far! Really love the swirls and movement of the grasses :D

"JeanneG" said...

It's looking really nice. I like the lighter and darker colors of the green. I went past the In and Out on Stockdale myself today and thought about a burger but held myself back.

Melody Lea Lamb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks Debbie and Jeanne!
Deb, our mom has certainly earned buckets of love and care.

Jeanne, every now and then (usually when I have made that trip out west) an In And Out burger just really hits the spot!

dayana said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

http://sketchingdrawing.com

dayana said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

http://sketchingdrawing.com

Kathleen Coy said...

This is looking wonderful, Mel! :-)

Jennifer Rose said...

it is great that you guys look after your mother, shows its a caring family:)

your painting is coming along wonderfully. really like that shade of green :)

Colleen K Carrigan said...

Thank you Melody for following my new blog and twitter accounts. It is so sweet that you and your sister take such wonderful care of your mom. Your little mouse miniature is coming along beautifully - I can't wait to see the next post of your progress. Enjoy spending time in the studio -that's where I'm off to now.

All the Best, Colleen

Blog Archive