Tuesday

New Miniature Bird Painting Complete!

Titmouse Series Two
India Ink, Colored Pencil, and Watercolor on Art Board
5" by 5"
Available here on Etsy or directly from my blog (right hand column)
Finally finished "Titmouse Two" today and I am very pleased with the little painting (the watermark of my name does not appear on the original). This is the second in a series of three little paintings I have been focusing on. In this "Tufted Titmouse" series, I am working larger than the ACEO size of 2.5" by 3.5" that I've used (almost exclusively) for the last five years.

The support I am using is called Art Board and is a 5" by 5" by 1.5" surface. These Art Boards have Arches Cold Press 156 lb watercolor paper mounted to Natural Fiber Panels. The panels are about 1/2 thick with little holes on the back so they are ready to hang. The Arches Watercolor Paper is mouldmade in France with 100% cotton fiber content, pH neutral and gelatin sized.

The third piece in this series may be a while forthcoming because it is time to turn my attention to illustrating my new children's book; Duncan's Magic Garden .

My friend on Twitter; mikeyboy50, gave me permission to use his beautiful photographs as reference (thank you Mikey). Mikey's photographs of birds give me endless inspiration and his friendship is always uplifting! Make sure to check out his website.

Here is a thumbnail of Titmouse One (still available for sale) and more information about the miniature painting can be found here


4 comments:

Debbie Lamey-MacDonald said...

I LOVE it Mel! Amazing background and pose. A magical little painting!

Just Me said...

These are very cute Melody. ~Jillian

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Cutie patootie! He looks so bright and chipper. Loving Duncan too...have a thing for bunnies. Your bookmarks are sooo cute too.
Wishing you a Happy & Healthy New Year!
See ya next year!
*hugs*deb

Steve Drew said...

I love your birds! Happy New Year!

Blog Archive