Monday

The Power Of Twitter for Artists


There are a gabillion "Twitter Experts" out there these days (I am certainly not one), but I want to share seven of my personal tips as an artist, for making the most of Twitter:
  • Tip 1: Tweet about what's important to you, what you're passionate about!
  • Tip 2: Interact, listen, respond, and care about what people are saying. That will bring you quality followers.
  • Tip 3: Be sure to have a clear Bio & Avatar (the little picture of yourself), otherwise how will followers know you and why would they follow?
  • Tip 4: You can recommend people ANY day not JUST #followfriday (Follow Friday is a tradition where people tweet people they believe are fun/interesting to follow on Fridays) How about #follownow, (a daily recommendation of fellow Tweeters)?
  • Tip 5: Find a service like TweetDeck (my favorite) to help you organize the Twitter stream into columns of friends, new followers, mentions, etc.
  • Tip 6: Make sure you leave enough characters and the end of your Tweet so that people can re-tweet you. A re-tweet (RT) is a great compliment!
  • Tip 7: Automated welcome Direct Messages (in my opinion) to your new followers is more a negative than positive touch.

So, there are my Twitter two cents!


Ive been on Twitter for a few years and the number of rewards I gain from Twitter on a daily basis completely surprises me! I must be "Tweeting" something worthwhile, because I now have over 11,300 people "following" me on Twitter! I've found Twitter to be a powerful business tool, a source of great support, and my favorite place to greet the morning as well as my way of relaxing at the end of the day. When my mom was in her final days last year, I reached out to my Twitter friends with a aching heart, and received hundreds of sincere, supportive messages from my online friends. My Twitter family helped ease me through a painful time, especially since the day mom died I was 3,000 miles away from her, my brother and sisters.
I've met some people I consider true friends and with whom I chat daily. A few months ago I shared with you a little painting titled "Tufted Titmouse" (above in his new role as a greeting card). This little watercolor was based on a reference photograph by my Twitter friend MikeyBoy50. The painting I created from MikeyBoy50's photograph is one of my favorite pieces of last year! The following month, my friend FredCuellar purchased the original directly from my interaction with him on Twitter. Yesterday my friend JoyIsLife contacted me on Twitter and requested a custom card fashioned from "Tufted Titmouse"....now that's some outstanding business results from my daily "tweeting"!

The Tufted Titmouse greeting card above can be purchased on Zazzle by clicking the image above, or here in my Gift Shop

18 comments:

The Beaded Pillow said...

Thank you for the great Twitter tips, Melody. I am going to check out Tweetdeck right now.

~ Karen

Melody Lea Lamb said...

My sincerest pleasure Karen! I *heart* Twitter. :)

Debbie Lamey-MacDonald said...

Great Post Mel! I agree Twitter is a truly caring community of people. I have met wonderful people like you who brighten up my days! Cheers to Twitter! :D

niftyknits said...

Nice to meet you! I tried tweetdeck but just couldn't get to grips with it. I do naughtily have a few auto responses to new followers too - but your other pointers I think are spot on. Interaction is certainly key, otherwise what's the point?

Casey Shannon Studio said...

This is a great post with wonderful tips. I agree. I love twitter!

Jaz said...

RT'd this! :)

Sixsisters said...

Great post. Thanks for taking the time to give us some
tips. I am still getting the hang of twitter. I hope to do
better.

jennyannfraser said...

Thank you for the tips! They're great, and I totally agree with you about auto responses to new followers. What is the point really?
I'm checking out Tweetdeck right now.
Thanks for posting!

Knit2getherInLove said...

Thanks for your tips! It is great having such encouraging help as you and my sister!

Joann said...

Good advice from a good person!

Christopher Adams said...

Nice tips on Twitter. I especially like the one about leaving room for Retweets, I think a lot of people do not do this.

One thing I notice you do very well on twitter is interact and showcase the talents of others. One tip I heard a while back was to pretend your at a networking event, you wouldn't run up to everyone and say, me, me, me! You would ask about them.

See you on Twitter! :)
@ctchrisadams

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks Christopher. Indeed, I think it's important to view Twitter like a networking event, or a nice cocktail party...we would chat about what we do, but also be good listeners for other guests! Thanks everyone for your very kind comments on this post.

roma said...

Thanks. I'm new to Twitter (and an artist) so this is helpful. I'm much more interested in the community, like you say, quality followers, than anything else.

Georgie McNeese (ArtByG) said...

Great tips from a great artist. Thanks Melody.

Aimee Paradise said...

glad i found you! i love animals and twitter too.

Ritchie said...

Hi and thanks for sharing these great tips. I am sure they will come in handy as I continue my journey using Twitter. Still a long way to go! I love the way you have laid out your blog and it has inspired me to take another look at my blog. Keep up the great work!

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks so much for stopping by, Roma, Georgia, Aimee and Ritchie! best of luck on Twitter and in each of your art worlds.

Becky Joy said...

great post Melody. I enjoyed going through your blog and website.

Blog Archive