Friday

Clever Cottontail - Work In Progress


I moved a little further on my latest miniature ACEO ( a tiny 3.5" x 2.5" painting) today. I began adding layers of Prisma colored pencil and redefining the areas of focus for this painting. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I plan on having the main focal point of the piece center around the little Cottontail rabbit and his bright eye. I believe in a great composition, the viewer's eyes needs to move around the piece in an enjoyable way. Almost like a visual dance where the eye starts at one point in the painting, is drawn to different areas, meanders along pleasant passages, and then is brought back to a main spotlight of the composition.

Right now this little painting is rather muddy and unrefined, but as I begin to layer and burnish the pigment, (as well as employ a secret technique that I invented), the strength, detail and richness will begin to emerge.

(Saturday's progress below)




Here is a slide show of each step in the creative process for "Spring Bunny 2010".

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Jen Ward said...

You are so talented! Thank You for bringing us all to a simpler time!

JenuineHealing said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
@SixDegreesofDCW said...

Amazing work here Melody. I need to dig in my kid's collection of children's books and see if we have any of yours. If not, we'll definitely need to stock up on some.

Love your blog and your art. Well done!

Daniel said...

Amazing work Melody! I own and read a ton of children's book, since I have two young kiddos. I'll have to check and see if I have any of your books. If not, I might have to change that after seeing what you do.

Truly inspiring and talented blog.

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks Jen and Daniel! I appreciate your taking the time to stop by and look at my art! Daniel, the book is titled "Moonlight Memoirs" and can be found on Amazon or here on my blog.

Blog Archive