Sunday

Tiny Art Form Known As ACEO

Below are a few of my recent ACEOs "in hand" so that you can get a sense of the size of these little (2.5" x 3.5") works of art.

In 2004 the unique little art form known as ACEO (Art Cards Editions and Originals) was born on eBay. ATC (Art Trading Cards) have been around for centuries and are usually traded or exchanged rather than sold. In contrast, artists primarily create ACEOs with the intention of selling them. ACEOs came to be as a result of the public's interest in acquiring and collecting these tiny works of art that were (up until the ACEO) stricly traded between artists. Today ACEOs are flourishing, (on any given day at least 100,000 ACEO originals are sold somewhere on the internet) More and more people are collecting ACEOs and art supply stores are beginning to stock specialized materials that help artists create them. Two of the greatest appeals for the ACEO are that they small enough to fit inside standard card-collector pockets, sleeves or sheets, and they are an affordable way for people to acquire original art.

I personally discovered ACEOs on eBay in 2005 and began creating the little works of art that same year. My versions of this small format began to sell immediately on eBay and I found myself inspired to create more. Over the years I've been able to perfect some interesting techniques and mediums for my little ACEOs. Below is one step by step of my ACEO "Houdini".

One of my ACEOs step by step:
This is the third portrait of little "Houdini". This special mouse has a sweet story that you can read here.








After I had created and sold over 500 of these little paintings, I began to think of other ways to use the images. The result was eight unique virtual "shops" where I sell prints of the small paintings as well as hundreds of art gifts such as magnets, bookmarks, greeting cards, tiles and jewelry boxes!

Although I now paint in a larger format and illustrate children's books, I still occasionally create ACEOs (here is my most recent original ACEO) as a way to revitalize my creative inspiration. The creative process of painting ACEOs "Miniature Masterpiece", is still such a joy! I have to include this piece written by my friend Carol Rosinski because her words beautifully express my feelings about creating these tiny works of art.

The Secret of Miniature Art

The secret about miniature art is the intense sense of intimacy that is experienced when you hold a piece in your hand. When a piece of art is so small that it can rest in the palm of your hand, you are being gently invited to bring it a little closer to your eyes. You bow your head a bit and bring your hand nearer to your face. This is a very intimate pose. At this moment, you have let the piece of art enter into a vulnerable personal area. You would never hold anything dangerous this close to your face. This is the way you would hold a butterfly or a small kitten; very gently and close. Miniature art is a gift, a treasure, a secret and special friend.

~Carol Rosinski

9 comments:

Jen Ward said...

The wonderful thing about you is allowing others into the process so that they can feel like such creative ventures are a possibility for them too. How wonderful.

Francis A said...

They are beautiful and I am amazed at your creativity and keeping up with the trend!! My kiddos are enjoying your blog with me!! Stunning!! :)

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks Jen and Francis! Francis, I was just doing the same on your blog. How wonderful this social networking (like Twitter, where we just connected) is...allowing us to meet. I'm always inspired and gratified to meet other "stay at home mom's" who believe raising our little one will be the most important job we do! Bravo girl! :)

Entrepreneurshop, Inc said...

Hi melody I really like your posting and art. I was not familiar with aceo but that you for making me aware. Your art looks amazing, I will work on re posting and retweeting, how would you like me to share ?
Mike

goldenTwine said...

Melody is a versatile miniature artist. Her talent prompted me to feature her on my blog as this weekend's featured artist.
Featured Artist - Melody Lea Lamb | GoldenTwine Blog
I would highly appreciate if all her friends, fans and readers read my blog article featuring her, and ofcourse do not foeget to write your comments about her and her work on my blog. Thanks!

@OrganicGuru said...

I am a huge fan of Amy Brown and she also describes her work with fairies in the same fashion. I really appreciate your direction to focus on the intricate details as though you were holding it in your hand and admiring it. That is a really great way to begin. Anyone who is starting out with any kind of art can learn from this.

It was also interesting to see how the picture evolves with the additional strokes and detail.

Fine Art Painting said...

Your style of presentation is very impressive. The meaningful contribution of your mind reflects on those people who are looking for new ideas and informations regarding Art Gallery Paintings. I would like to tweet on it and keep spying at every moment you blogging.

Carolynn McDade said...

Hi Melody - i enjoy your blog... your art is fabulous!

many thanks for sharing your fine work! ~~carolynn

Kreative's Krafts said...

I discovered ACEOs in 2005 also. I've been complemented about the details I could put on that format but you take the cake! I've since focused my attention on crafts but I love viewing the artistic talents of you and all of the other small format artists :-) (swhiteartist.blogspot.com)

Blog Archive