Monday

The Love Of Art And Animals

Critters are my passion:
Aside from my family, art and animals are what I love most. For as long as I can remember I’ve had a special rapport with critters, (as you can see in the old family photo to your left, I'm the one clutching a big furry cat).


(Below are some of my "staff" helping in my studio on a winter day)


I can recall as a child, believing I could “talk” to my cat, and collecting as many animals as my poor family could tolerate! I’ve always turned to nature for solace, especially during difficult times in life. Even simply watching the colorful backyard birds at my feeders, or stroking my dog’s silky head when she is curled up beside me, soothes away any troubles I encounter.
Today, I have a handful of pets (3 cats, a dog, and a horse) but support and care for thousands via my group Art For Critters.


Art For Critters:

A4C is a talented group of about 25 artists who donate a portion of their proceeds to select animal charities. Together we have raised over $50,000 since January 2006. As the co-leader of this group, I personally donated 10% of the proceeds from nearly all my of original paintings over the last 5 years. Additionally, in 2010 I ran my first and second "Run For The Critters" and raised $2,050 for the animals. This fall I ran a third Run For The Critters and raised $1141. Art For Critters has helped thousands of critters and I am SO honored to be a part of this amazing group!

My favorite animal art:

A few of my many Art For Critters paintings stand out, not just because I was happy with the final piece, but because of the particular animal the I was able to help through the sale of my work. Below are two miniatures (ACEOs) that I was especially moved to create and the animal rescue stories behind each.

"Old Dog Dawson" 2008
ACEO 2.5 " by 3.5"
India Ink, some White Acrylic, and Colored Pencil
10% benefited Old Dog Haven Rescue

I painted "Old Dog Dawson" for a specific charity event and represents a very sweet old dog who lost his people and needed a new home. Read Dawson's moving story!

"Ivan The Feral Cat"
ACEO 2.5 " by 3.5"
India Ink, some White Acrylic, and Colored Pencil
10% benefited Berkshire Animal Dreams

"Ivan" is a beautiful feral (wild) cat who has lived behind our town dump for six years. I've had the privilege of caring for Ivan since 2008. His story is really moving and inspired me to contribute 10% of ALL my original art sales ( about 50 paintings) for an entire year to Berkshire Animal Dreams! About Ivan

I know I will always be one of those people who find the company of animals especially inspiring and I feel blessed that I can convey some of that inspiration in my art.

Find Melody's Animal Art Here:
Melody Lea Lamb's Miniature Animal Art

7 comments:

Todd Weiss CFA said...

Great post Melody. I love the name of your feral cat "Ivan". You're artwork is amazing. Nice painting of the labrador. :-)

Lisa M. Rodgers said...

I swear my cats know exactly what I'm saying when I "talk" to them. I like you referring to them as "staff". Maybe one day, my cats will be my staff. Right now, they are the boss of me! lol

Love your Labrador painting. What a gentle looking soul he appears to be. You've got mad painting skills gal!

fanderson said...

YAY Melody!! Thanks for your wonderful love these animals! Congrats on the huge part that you have been able to contribute!! 10% all by yourself is amazing! Your paintings are always beautiful but how wonderful to see them being used for a cause! Thank You for sharing your work! :)

Kayla @EssentialU said...

I still talk to my cats with the expectation that they understand me! I love the photos in this and your art pictured above is wonderful. Thanks for sharing about Art 4 Critters - I will check it out.

@SerendipityJane said...

My cat looks a lot like Ivan. I'm loving the images & paintings. So beautiful!

Richard Bejah said...

I know what you are saying... Just spent the morning taking 2 of our 3 dogs.. 1 australian Silkie Terrier, A Black & White Fox Terrier & a Charles Spaniel mixed with Australian Silkie Terrier To the Vet for their injections..

On top of that we have a Guinea pig and a Rabbit...

What would life be without our pets? Probably pretty quiet RICH :0)

Mysticle said...

Melody, what a nice post! I too am a lover of animals. I've always felt a special connection.

Currently, I have 4 dogs and 2 cats - all rescues. I've blogged about them (http://bit.ly/ZrHY9) and I'm constantly taking & posting photos. I try to support the efforts of local rescue groups as well.

I would love to chat with you sometime about both 'Art for Critters' and 'Run for the Critters' - and perhaps host similar events in my city (Charlotte, NC). I know many in my area that would offer support, and participate.

Love and Gratitude for all that you do for our furry critters ♥

~ Misty ~ @Mysticle

Blog Archive