Sunday

What Is An ACEO?

ACEO: Art Cards Editions and Originals. Below is one of my ACEOs "in hand" so that you can get a sense of the size of these little (2.5" x 3.5") works of art. You can also find my 400 ACEO prints and originals here.

ACEO Defined: 
In 2004 the unique little art form known as ACEO (Art Cards Editions and Originals) was born online. Art Trading Cards had been around for centuries and were usually traded or exchanged rather than sold. In contrast, artists primarily create ACEOs with the intention of selling them. ACEOs came to be as a result of the public's interest in acquiring and collecting these tiny works of art.

Today ACEOs are flourishing, (on any given day at least 100,000 ACEO originals are sold somewhere on the internet) More and more people are collecting ACEOs and art supply stores are beginning to stock specialized materials that help artists create them. Two of the greatest appeals for the ACEO are that they are small enough to fit inside standard card-collector pockets, sleeves or sheets, and they are an affordable way for people to acquire original art.

I personally discovered ACEOs  in 2005 and began creating my own versions of these little works of art. My ACEOs sold immediately and I found myself inspired to create more. Over the years I've been able to perfect some interesting techniques and mediums for my little ACEOs. Below is one step by step of my ACEO "Houdini".

One of my ACEOs step by step:
This is the third portrait of little "Houdini". This special mouse has a sweet story that you can read here.








After I had created and sold nearly 500 of these little paintings, I began to think of other ways to use the finished works of art. The result was a collection of other art gifts such as prints, magnets, bookmarks, greeting cards, tiles and wearable art jewelry all of which can be purchased on  My New Art Website.

Although I now paint in a larger format and illustrate children's books, I still occasionally create ACEOs. For example, here is one of my most recent ACEO (now as a print since the original has sold). The creative process of painting ACEOs "Miniature Masterpiece", is still such a joy.

Enjoy!

Find Melody's Animal Art Here:
Melody Lea Lamb's Miniature Animal Art

6 comments:

The Beaded Pillow said...

Great article, Melody; and I love Carol's words - she is right on! I love your work... and now I want to bead Houdini and the little mouse with the blue hat. :) ~ Karen

@toddweisscfa said...

Great stuff Melody. Thanks for sharing.

Fatin Khawarizmi said...

All the time great choices Melody! I am really fascinated by the steps above from simple lines to a gorgeous tableau!

Bren said...

Very creative way of deminstrating this style of painting...I need to come back often because Your share is inspiring! I have been wanting to get back into painting but super busy this time of year in the garden.

Happy Spring.....and will follow your #aceo haas tag so keep sharing.

BG_garden

Paint Stains said...

I Would love to post a link on my blog about this post. permission?

http://paintundermynails.blogspot.com

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Paint Stains, absolutely help yourself! Enjoy.

Blog Archive