Monday

Patches of Blue- Guest Post by Alaskan Sister

Guest Post by Adrian Eve Revenaugh, Alaskan homesteader (and my big sister).


Meet Adrian...my big sister. This is her latest post on her blog,The Fair Light Review

I marvel at the trees so heavily endowed with cone there's no way for them to stand up to all that potential. Hemlock, spruce and the scattered patches of pine droop toward the ground. From a distance the entire forest appears to be rusted over.

Thousands of little siskins spent the winter filling the airwaves with music and activity. They're joined this week with the return of thrush and robin.

This morning, I'm filling seedling containers with our home grown starter mix and though I wake to a fresh skiff of ice, rain, or snow each morning, the late afternoons peak around 60°. The joy of new beginnings never fails to offer that sorely needed jolt, "Pick it up, Girl! There's a lot more living to do."

But, I grieve the end of winter. I adore scrambling the hillsides on snowshoes, making camp with a good book and journal; watching, listening, conjuring. This winter pushed hard with deep continuous cold and terrific wind, breaking deadwood from the trees and sculpting the mountains and snow across the river flats. I love being hooked into and surrounded by such a force. Helps keep perspective.

This year many peers from our community took quick and permanent departure. My friend, Garrison Keillor said, about writing eulogies, something like, "if I start now where would I quit?" Daily I walk with mental recitations of the good times spent in and around these valley residents who've died.

It helps considerably that I'm married to the idea of new starts being hatched from rich, old material, including break-up come spring. My winter bridge across the Klehini gave way around midnight. The rush of water soaked snow and ice suddenly running free, filled the night air with green sweetness.

Happy spring, Adrian!


Enjoy!

9 comments:

Donna Maria @ Indie Business said...

What lovely photos. So nice to meet your big sister!

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks, Donna. Ade IS something! :)

June Stoyer @OrganicGuru said...

See what you get when you think Spring and start your seeds?....you get SNOW! lol

What a nice story, Melody! Nice to learn more about you! ;-)

June Stoyer @OrganicGuru said...

I wrote that too fast! It was nice to learn more about your sister. Birds of a feather flock together. It is nice that you both have such a love of nature!

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks June! Yes, Adrian is such an amazing woman, I honored to be her little sis. :)

Adrian Revenaugh said...

Thanks, Mel for the feature and to your fans for the nice comments. Happy spring to all.

Melody Lea Lamb said...

My pleasure, big sis! I love you. :)

belinha said...

Hi Melody! I'm glad you took a moment of your time to visit my blog! This way I discovered yours! I always have enjoyed blogs and Zazzle gave me reason to create another! You do wonderful work!I'm going to see more!;)

belinha said...

Lovely art!Enjoyed my visit so much!And the story behind Run for critters and everything!

Blog Archive