Friday

Up-cycled Miniature Art Frame - How to Display an ACEO

One of the biggest challenges, for ACEO (Art Cards Editions and Originals...see a full definition of an ACEO below) collectors is finding creative ways to display these miniature works of art. I have come up with a solution! Introducing my Up-cycled CD Case ACEO Frame:


I have been pondering this idea for a while, and each time I glanced over at an empty CD case on my desk, I thought how perfect it would be to house one of my miniature ACEO prints! So this is the first of its kind.


The little protective frame is an "up-cycled" clear plastic CD case. Inside is a removable ACEO print (included) of my miniature art. The colorful paper that frames your miniature is archival as are the photo corners which hold the print.

You can change out your ACEO with prints you have collected and can even store a few inside the case.

I have attached a small brass hanger on the back of the little frame.


Up-cycled CD Frames are available here
________________

So What Is An ACEO?

Below is one of my ACEOs (Art Cards Editions and Originals) "in hand" so that you can get a sense of the size of these little (2.5" x 3.5") works of art.

ACEO Defined:
In 2004 the unique little art form known as ACEO (Art Cards Editions and Originals) was born on eBay. ATC (Art Trading Cards) have been around for centuries and are usually traded or exchanged rather than sold. In contrast, artists primarily create ACEOs with the intention of selling them. ACEOs came to be as a result of the public's interest in acquiring and collecting these tiny works of art that were (up until the ACEO) strictly traded between artists.


Today ACEOs are flourishing, (on any given day at least 100,000 ACEO originals are sold somewhere on the internet) More and more people are collecting ACEOs and art supply stores are beginning to stock specialized materials that help artists create them. Two of the greatest appeals for the ACEO are that they small enough to fit inside standard card-collector pockets, sleeves or sheets, and they are an affordable way for people to acquire original art.


I personally discovered ACEOs on eBay in 2005 and began creating the little works of art that same year. My versions of this small format began to sell immediately on eBay and I found myself inspired to create more. Over the years I've been able to perfect some interesting techniques and mediums for my little ACEOs.


The most common way to store these miniature masterpieces, is to use a baseball card sleeve and a binder. The drawback with this method of display is that the ACEOs are hidden away. A dramatic way to display an ACEO is to have it professionally framed, but that can be quite expensive. I hope you enjoy my ACEO display solution and begin your own collection of these tiny treasures.

The print I include with your Up-Cycled Frame is of Colored Pencil and India Ink bunny rabbit painting by me, Melody Lea Lamb. It is printed from my Epson printer with archival Ink on Epson archival paper with a Matte finish. These little prints are rated to last about 100 years. The print is signed by the artist (me!) and I mail the whole Up-cycled package in a small box via Priority Mail.


Enjoy!

5 comments:

brendathour said...

What a great idea! Looks great!

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks so much, Brenda!

Artyfax said...

Melody I have loved your atc's for some time. And this is a great idea. I have seen CD cases used before for this purpose but in a slightly different way and left open to stand rather than using a hanger. Great minds think alike, LOL. See it here,
http://www.squidoo.com/aceo_collecting by K Madison

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks Artyfax and great link!

NoviceArtist said...

Gorgeous!!

Blog Archive