Sunday

My Third Run For The Critters

I've just finished running my Third 10K "Run For The Critters" today, Sept. 25, 2011!

My first Run For The Critters was inspired by grief and gratitude. When my mother passed away in February 2010 after a long slow "dwindling," I worked out my feelings of loss by running on our country roads. As I was out running one morning, a month or so after mom passed away, I was suddenly bowled over by a strong sense of gratitude. I was grateful that I could still run at my age, that I could run in such beautiful countryside, I felt grateful for so many things. I wanted to give back somehow. Then an idea hit me: I'd run for the critters. I could set a goal of running a six-mile race while raising money for animal charity! That is exactly what I did. In September 2010 I raced in the George Coope Memorial Road Race Run Adams MA. I won 2nd place in my class, and raised $1500 for animal charity!
I was so thrilled, inspired and empowered by the success of my Race For The Critters that I did it again. On May 29th, 2011 I ran the Memorial Day Lenox 10K and raised $500 for the critters. Today I ran a third Run For The Critters called the Brock Trot in Lenox, MA.

The Run:

Picking up my number pre-race.
The cool green T-Shirt (my son loves it)!
Waiting for the race...any minute now.
We're off!
Finished! I beat my personal goal of running 6.2 miles in under 1 hour 13 minutes.
The two charities who will receive the funds I raised today are, Fieldhaven Feline Rescue and Old Dog Haven

Now, off to train for Run For The Critters Four!

6 comments:

Kimberly Gauthier said...

That is so wonderful. Congratulations. I'm a huge animal lovers and adore anyone who gives back like you do!

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thanks so much, Kimberly! I'm SO happy with the money raised AND my time. I had to really dig deep in the last few miles...it was hard. The finish was on an uphill! :-O

Jennifer Rose said...

congrats on finishing the runs! and thats great you did it for animal charities :)

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Thank you Jennifer! Its so nice to see you. :)

Debbie Lamey-MacDonald said...

Wow!!! Good for you Mel! Congratulations on this great achievement! Proud of you for reaching your goals and for your generosity!! Okay you deserve a break tomorrow! :D

The Beaded Pillow said...

Congratulations on a run well done, Melody! You are an inspiration, to be sure.

Blog Archive