Wednesday

Small Animals, Big Inspirations

Mouse Art Print
"Be open to the small treasures in life, stop-gather them up and enjoy!" ~Melody Lea Lamb


The inspiration for my art comes from the small treasures in life


I'm often inspired by the very small things in life, in particular the small treasures in nature. Through my art, I try to bring the viewer to a place out of the ordinary-a place they would only find by really looking into the small world at their feet. For example, imagine you were sitting on a tree stump deep in the woods, maybe resting after a brisk walk, and you look down at the tangle of grass by your feet...suddenly you realize that what you thought was a rock was in fact a tiny mouse! His bright eyes looking forward and the only movement you see is the slight tremble of his fine whiskers.

Below find two examples of being open to the small treasures in my life and the profound effect each has had on me:

Houdini The Tiny Rescue Mouse
Mouse Art
ACEO (3.5"x 2.5") India ink, colored pencil and some white acrylic.

The story of Houdini:

Deborah Peters (an art customer of mine) contacted me wishing to share some images of critters. This kind lady (who worked as a veterinarian's aid until her retirement), rescues small creatures and fosters them till they can be released.Rescue Mouse Houdini was a tiny field mouse she rescued and fostered. What inspires me most about stories such as Houdini's, is that even though we do not have to take the time, love, and energy to save such a tiny (sometimes misunderstood or seemingly insignificant) creature, people like Deborah do! The sense of deep satisfaction that comes with saving a life, no matter how tiny, is indeed sizable.
More about little Houdini here and here Click on the thumbnail (right) to see the amazing pictures of tiny Houdini when he was rescued.

Daisy The Baby Bird

ACEO (3.5"x 2.5") India ink, colored pencil and some white acrylic.

Daisy's story:
A few years ago I had the joy and honor of rescuing a baby Sparrow! Above is a miniature paintings I did in memory of this little bird, and below is a slide show documenting her brief time with me.



For the ten days that "Daisy" was with me, my whole family made minor adjustments to accommodate this little angel. Feeding a baby bird requires unlimited patience and dedication as they eat every 45 minute from dawn to dusk. Then, its crucial that the bird learns to fly, take dust baths, and eat seed rather than formula fed by hand. All of this I actually found to be a labor of love and our children helped whenever they could. In my paintings, I wanted to convey the feeling I experienced in "rehabilitating" this little creature. She was so small when I found her, dirty, helpless and frightened in the dust of the barn floor.

It was a miracle that she survived the first night! The dramatic changes that evolved in just a few days and the way that she actually looked me in the eye with trust and understanding will leave a lasting memory. I hope I can always remember the sensation of those tiny feet wrapped around my finger with just the most delicate of pressure as she learned to balance herself and then to fly. I hope that someday Daisy will come back to visit me, but if not, the memory of sharing ten days with her will always be sweet.

More about Daisy here

Also, find a great tip for "What to do when a bird hits your window!"

______________

Remember to stay open, listen carefully, slow down and allow yourself to find life's tiny treasure that enrich us all!

1 comment:

The Beaded Pillow said...

Beautiful stories. Beautiful art. Beautiful person. Thanks for sharing "the little things" we all need to be reminded about! ~ Karen

Blog Archive