Friday

Trash-Cat? Berkshire's Feral Felines

Ivan is a beautiful black feral (wild) cat who has lived behind a shed at our town dump for 7 years. 

Its my job to bring him food, fresh water, and a loving glance into his beautiful eyes every day.

Here is Ivan's story:

On Christmas day in 2008 I lost a friend to pancreatic cancer, she was only 55 years old. Leslie Smallridge was an incredible woman who was an avid animal lover with a kind and a gentle heart. For years my friend (daily) cared for our group of local dump kitties. I was able to fill in for her on many occasions, once for about two months, after which I got to actually stroke the soft little head of one feral kitty.
All the cats at our dump were black or black and white. Their numbers ranged from four some years to now just one.

All of the cats had been trapped, neutered or spayed, and had their basic shots. We live in New England which has some severe winters with lots of snow and cold. Because of Leslie's love for these feral cats, they  lived relatively well in a snug little igloo house packed well with hay and always fresh (thawed) water and food.

Now I am the main caregiver for the ferals and there seems to be just one beautiful black cat left, I’ve named him Ivan. There are winter days when I have to chip through Ivan’s frozen water to make room for fresh, and summer days when the weeds have grown so tall around his house, that I have to wade through hip high grass, but I never miss a day.

  I know I will be greeted by those soft pale green eyes that become more trusting every week.

Leslie worked closely with a local charity known as Berkshire Animal Dreams, together they made a huge impact on the quality of life for many stray and abandoned cats.

After Leslie's passing, I looked into my heart to find the best way I could offer my condolences....

I decided that helping care for the dump ferals would be my way of remembering Leslie. I now contribute a portion of my art sales to help keep Ivan alive and healthy. I also brought Berkshire Animal Dreams into my Art for Critters group so that all twenty five of our artist-members can donate to this charity. Leslie, if you are looking down on us...thank you for all you have done and I promise to continue to care for Ivan, the Feral Cat, forever.

If you would like to help Ivan, you can use the "Donate" button below or consider making a small donation to Berkshire Animal Dreams




Find Melody's Animal Art Here:
Melody Lea Lamb's Miniature Animal Art

No comments:

Blog Archive